Maggie Baird Is The World’s Coolest Mom
Parenting typical teenagers is no easy feat. Today’s guest parented two as they skyrocketed to bewildering fame—and kept them astonishingly grounded in the process.
Today we explore the uncommon reality that is Maggie Baird’s life.
A veteran actor, improv performer, and writer with a long list of screen credits to her name, Maggie is also a long-time vegan, animal rights and environmental activist, and the founder of Support And Feed, a non-profit that partners with restaurants across America (and soon the world) to provide plant-based meals to those experiencing food insecurity.
She’s also the coolest mom ever to two of the biggest musicians in the world—7x Grammy Award winning 19-year old Billie Eilish and Billie’s equally talented brother and counterpart, 8x Grammy winning 23-year old brother Finneas O’Connell—all portrayed alongside Maggie’s husband Patrick O’Connell in the recent Apple TV+ documentary The World’s A Little Blurry.
Although Billie serves as the film’s primary protagonist, the documentary paints a technicolor family journey portrait. The story behind the story of this uniquely gifted foursome is both surprising and deeply heartwarming—a narrative exploration of parents striving to consciously guide their talented kids through their trepidatious and vertigo-inducing ascent to superstardom.
It goes without saying that this is a conversation about parenting, how to raise conscious kids, and the many benefits of homeschooling and unschooling.
It’s about what happens when your children become unbelievably famous at a young age, seemingly overnight.
And it’s about organizing your life and your family’s priorities around what is most important.
It’s also about the challenges of pursuing an artistic life. The importance of finding your cause. And it’s a dive into Maggie’s particular cause, which is to solve food insecurity and make the music industry, concerts, and touring, more ecologically sustainable.
This one is chock-full of sage advice across many topics, and there’s something for everyone to learn from Maggie’s refreshing perspective.
Wise and charming, Maggie is the mom we all wish we had.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Four Sigmatic: Nutritious and delicious organic, Fair-Trade, single-origin Arabica mushroom coffee made with only the highest quality adaptogens like Lion’s Mane and Chaga. Visit foursigmatic.com/roll and get up to 40% off + Free Shipping on Mushroom Coffee bundles.
Therabody: With an OLED screen, a personalized Theragun app, and the quiet and power you need, there is no substitute for the Theragun Gen 4, starting at only $199. Try it for thirty days and experience the percussive therapy device that’s unlike anything you’ve ever felt at Therabody.com/RICHROLL
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off.
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker. Get smarter about how you sleep, recover, and train, so you can unlock your best self. Go to WHOOP.com and use the promo code Richroll at checkout to save 15% off WHOOP.
For a complete list of all RRP sponsors, vanity URLs & discount codes, visit Our Sponsors.
- Connect with Maggie Baird: Instagram | Facebook
- IMDb: Maggie Baird
- Support + Feed: Website
- Support + Feed: Instagram
- Capital FM: Who Are Billie Eilish’s Mum And Dad? Inside Her Bond With Her Parents
- Plant Based News: ‘You Cannot Separate Food Insecurity From Systemic Racism’, Says Maggie Baird
- Plant Based News: Billie Eilish’s Mom Maggie Baird Hosts 2nd Virtual Plant-Based Party
- Plant Based News: Billie Eilish Partners With Postmates Alongside Documentary Release
- Yahoo: Maggie Baird, mother of Billie Eilish and Finneas, talks homeschool advice, fears and hopes for Generation Z, and COVID-19 initiative Support + Feed
- The Beet: Billie Eilish and Mom Maggie Baird Serve Vegan Meals to Homeless Youth
- Geo News: Billie Eilish helps mother Maggie Baird to provide vegan food to homeless
- Rolling Stone: Billie Eilish and the Pursuit of Happiness
- Los Angeles Times: Trust with his subject takes R.J. Cutler’s Billie Eilish film to a new level of intimacy
- New York Post: Billie Eilish’s mom wins PETA award for her vegan-inspired nonprofit
- Los Angeles Times: Billie Eilish is an ordinary teen with extraordinary talent in ‘The World’s a Little Blurry’
- Daily Mail: Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara join fellow vegan Billie Eilish to hand out plant-based burgers to homeless youth
- Vanity Fair: The Charming Billie Eilish
- Shondaland: Four Years In, ‘Vanity Fair’s’ Billie Eilish Interview is a Poignant Look At Growing Up in Real Time
- BuzzFeed: I Am Astounded By Billie Eilish’s Maturity In Her Vanity Fair Interview
- YouTube: Billie Eilish Answers Increasingly Personal Questions | Slow Zoom | Vanity Fair
- YouTube: Billie Eilish: Same Interview, One Year Apart | Vanity Fair
- YouTube: Billie Eilish: Same Interview, The Third Year | Vanity Fair
- YouTube: Billie Eilish: Same Interview, The Fourth Year | Vanity Fair
- YouTube: Justin Bieber’s Girlfriend (Official Fragrance Commercial)
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url's and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.